Sunday 8 March 2009

Relief!

I can;t even begin to explain the elation I felt earlier today. I had done no training for 2 weeks after getting shin splints and having to rest. This was so very hard as I could see the dates for the Half-Marathon and the Marathon getting closer and closer, and my friends who are running getting further and further in their training. For me even walking was very painful and extraordinarily fustrating.
Today was really a make or break day, the Half-Marathon in next weekend and I knew that if I had any pain today then I would not be able to run and make reaching the start line of the Marathon incredibly challenging.
The sun shone, I took it easy and it was one of the most enjoyable runs I have ever done. I ended up running for 7.2 miles in 1hr 20 minutes and almost did another 4 but decided to be sensible. No pain, low heart rate and felt just great. All those demons from the last two weeks just fell away - I felt like I'd won a race when I got home, just so happy.
This has now given mea massive lift and stimulous to really push forwards. I know I can do this, I know I have to build up carefully to avoid further injury, but thnks to God, today felt amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment