Sunday 15 March 2009

Silverstone Half-Marathon













What a great week after the downers of the last two. I played badminton on Monday, football Wednesday and did a 30 minute 3 mile run Friday - all with no ill effects. I even managed some early night, a good diet AND no alchohol for the week! Net result - lost half-a-stone.




Anyway roll on today, and what a great one. Roger, Julian, Mandy, Emily and myslef all went to ilverstone Race Circuit for the Adidas Half-Marathon - ideal to guage our fitnes ahead of Paris and London respectively.




We all line up at the start - delayed by 15 minutes as there were over 10,000 of us and it was hot and sunny - not great for running! My plan was damage limitation, no tweaks or strains and so I took the fit 3 fairly easy - 10.30's. 3-6 were a good steady 10.30 - 10.45 pace and I felt fine apart from some tuummy cramps from over oing the sit-ups. This route took up around the circuit itself for 1 lap, then around the inner roads. I took Lucozade on at 6 miles.




A great boost at 7 was seeing my family cheering me on - even though my eldest, Emily shouted out "Well done Daddy. Hurry up, Roger ran past AGES ago!" It was awful hearing the tannoy announce the leaders were finishing at this stage - just an hour in!



I saw them again at 10 by which time I was just about touching 11 minutes per mil but no side effects which was great. I knew my pace wasn;t awesome but I had not stopped and didn't feel like it - more Lucozade!



The final 3 miles were back onto the circuit - and this was another big boost, nearly home. My legs were feeling heavy but my energy levels felt good - the heat wore me doen a lot. However, I was determined to finish in style and managed a kind of sprint finish at the end - not quite Lewis Hamilton but a great feeling. We then wen't to the pits to ollect our bags and rendezvous with the family.




The Lost Boys - the Three Peaks Band back together - Rog in 2.08, me in 2.24 and Jules in a great 1.50.

I felt great afterwards, no pulled muscles, twinges, blisers etc, but the London Marathon is now only 5 weeks away and I have to do twice tis distance. Thats the scary thing, I really need to start carting in some distance runs now - and the plan next week is to buy proper trainers to help as well!

For thiose interested this was the route:



No comments:

Post a Comment