Friday 10 April 2009

The longest run...

Sunday was the day I was dreading - as the Marathon day gets closer I'm looking forward to it more and more but I had to get a 20 miler in before race day. This was it!

It sounds daft but it's really a case of not stopping. The first 2-3 miles are always the hardest as your body gets into it but once past that point it's keeping yourself within your fitness zone and not blowing up. In the end I managed 20.75 miles in 4hours and 5 mins. My target or the marathon is to get under 5 hours so I'm well placed.

It also a major phsycological boost as well, you KNOW you can run 20 miles so you KNOW you can finish. You can visualise your way around the course as you have done that distance and can tell yourself that when you do feel tired and want to stop so Sunday was a big day - wow did feel happy when it was finished and out the way!

Roger also completed the Paris Marathon this week and ran really well. It helps knowing he's done this as that also drives and inspires me to do this.

Finally I have to say I was simply staggered by an email to my work clients asking for Sponsorshp. The response was simply incredible an a massive boost to my target amount of £2,000. Thanks to my customers nearly another £600 has come in and I'm only £33 off the target now. Thank you, all of you!

I'm starting to wind the training down now - a 10 miler this weekend, then five and thats it I need to keep the cardio training runs going as I took the week off to recover from the 20 miler but back on the road again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment