Sunday 15 February 2009

Motivation

I don't know what it is but I have really struggled to get myself motivated for running over the last two weeks. I don't know if it was all the snow, the hours I work or what but I have found it very, very hard. I have only done one treadmill session, a 4 mile run last Saturday and then a 13 miler today... and wow did I realise what a lot I have to do!



This was todays course:





Roger ran it from his house yesterday, about a mile futher and did it in 2hr 20mins, I did it in 2hr 26mins, which I wasn't unhappy with based on my condition and the fact his marathon is three weeks ahead of mine.

But wow I suffered! The run itself was fine, all road and some great scenery but for some reason after 11 miles I started cramping up which just hurt like hell. I had to stop twice and stretch. It has brought it home to me that running is one thing, but being healthy to do it is another.

I really, really must start looking after myself and what I eat and drink. There is no way I could have gone much further today - and this is 9 weeks away from the real thing - twice the distance I did today. That scares me! In 9 weeks I need to double my endurance and shape if I am going to enjoy this.

It's easy to miss the little 20 / 25 minute runs during the week and to blame work etc. but i really noticed a difference today for not doing them. My overall fitness was way down and I think they keep you conditioned.

Lesson learnt on that one, I just need to get the other in my head and start to look after myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment